The Office of Graduate Education has a pool of funds available to help Mason graduate students earn their degrees and conduct research.
Funding comes from such sources as the Office of the Provost, academic departments, and faculty grants.
- Dissertation Completion Grants: These competitive awards go to doctoral students in the final semester of completing their dissertations. They enable students to focus full-time on research and writing, improve the quality of their work, and shorten the time needed to complete their degrees. Email us for more information about Dissertation Completion Grants.
- High Impact Grants: These competitive grants are a new funding opportunity for master’s and doctoral students. They provide tuition support for graduate students’ courses that significantly enhance training and education and/or satisfy credit-bearing requirements towards completion of the graduate degree. Email us for more information about High Impact Grants.
- Doctoral Research Scholars (opening March 2022): These competitive assistantships are a new funding opportunity for full-time or part-time doctoral students, who have completed a minimum of 48 credits of coursework. They provide support for graduate students to advance their research to progress in 998 or 999 requirements towards completion of their degree. Apply for the Doctoral Research assistantship. Email us for more information about the Doctoral Research assistantship.
- Summer Research Fellowships (opening January 2022): These fellowships provide financial support to graduate students during the summer term, allowing them to devote significant time to their dissertation or thesis research. The award fosters greater professional productivity and assists in timely degree completion. Email us for more information about the Summer Research Fellowships.
- Graduate Student Travel Fund: This fund helps cover the costs of doctoral and master’s students attendance at and participation in professional conferences. *Due to the impact of COVID-19, at this time, the GSTF is only able to provide support for conference registration fees for students who are presenting at professional conferences. The maximum GSTF support for conference registration will be $450. Proof of payment and attendance is required. Additionally, all GSTF reimbursement requests and associated paperwork should be submitted via email. Please be sure to include a signed GSTF Reimbursement Request Form.
- Graduate Inclusion & Access Scholarship (currently open): This scholarship supports the growth and development of an inclusive graduate community at George Mason University. An inclusive graduate student community is an essential strength of George Mason University. This scholarship, awarded on a competitive basis, is available to doctoral students from disadvantaged and/or underrepresented groups in their respective fields of graduate study. For eligibility and selection criteria, as well as information on current scholars, please see the Graduate Inclusion and Access Scholarship page.
- Mason provides tuition assistance and subsidized health insurance for graduate students who are recipients of certain prestigious scholarships and fellowships.
- Mason Foundation Scholarship opportunities are available for graduate students and administered through the Office of Financial Aid.
Note: The Office of Student Financial Aid may direct the non-need-based awards toward lowering your loans, reducing the amount of money you will borrow. For more information about how a non-need-based award may affect your financial aid package, contact the Financial Aid office at 703-993-2000.