There are University–wide requirements and procedures pertaining to the completion of your thesis or dissertation. Colleges and departments may also have their own requirements and procedures and, therefore, you should work with your advisor and committee to ensure all requirements are met.
The University Catalog includes thesis and dissertation requirements for Master’s Degrees and Doctoral Degrees. All students should be familiar with these policies.
University Dissertation & Thesis Services
For graduate students and or faculty supporting students who seek to submit a thesis or dissertation, they must follow the proper guidelines and protocols through the University Library.
"These are the major steps you must complete in order to prepare, format, complete, and submit your thesis or dissertation. Steps 1, 2, 3, and 5 are required of all graduate students writing theses and dissertations. Not all Master's students are required to defend; please check with your college/school/department to confirm."
Please click on the links below to read more specific information about each step.
- Step 1: Working with Your Committee
- Step 2: Format Review
- Step 3: Submission Instructions
- Step 4: Attend Your Defense
- Step 5: Final Submission
Research Development, Integrity & Safety
Conducting your research properly and safely is important to Mason. Numerous resources to help you do just that:
- Research & Economic Development – provides an overview of Mason's research focus areas and a list of resources to assist with research development and conducting research with integrity.
- Environmental Health & Safety – provides resources pertaining to health and safety while working in art studios and workshops and laboratories.
- Research Subject Protections – works with students to ensure research is conducted following ethical standards, and governmental and University regulations to protect human and animal subjects of research.
Dissertation Completion Grants
The Provost's Office offers Dissertation Completion Grants to doctoral students in their final semester of their dissertation. The Grant enables a student to focus full time on research and writing, improving quality of the work and shortening the time to complete the degree. Dissertation Completion Grants are awarded on a competitive basis. The application process is open during the Fall, please refer here to learn more.
Mason’s libraries offer a wide range of support services for students including liaison librarians who provide specialized assistance in their areas of expertise supporting academic programs. The Library also offers e-Journals, research databases, and research portals.