Below is a list of the basic resources every graduate student needs to build a successful experience.
Finances and Funding
Earning a graduate degree is a great investment in yourself, but finding the money to pay for it can be challenging. Mason will give you the tools and knowledge to manage your budget and find the financial help you need. Resources include:
- Student Accounts - Pay tuition and fees, set up payment options, and view payment schedules. Find answers to transaction questions.
- Financial Well-being- Get education and support for financial literacy through the Student Support and Advocacy Center.
- Graduate financial support - Explore funding and financial resources.
- Mason Student Services Center - Visit this central customer service location (virtual and in-person) for information and solutions related to registration, enrollment, financial aid, billing, academic records and other student support services.
- Student Emergency Assistance Funding - Unexpected events can blow up your budget. The Office of University Life manages an emergency assistance program to help students in emergency situations.
- Veterans' Benefits - Mason is an official military-friendly university. The Office of Military Services helps you get the most out of your veterans’ benefits.
Health and Wellness
Wellness is integral to your success. Mason offers a variety of health and wellbeing resources, including:
- Student Health Services - Enrolled Mason students get accessible and affordable health care in a supportive and confidential environment. Student Health Services maintains campus health information, including student immunization records and surveillance and response to COVID-19.
- Graduate Student Health Insurance - Full-time students enrolled in a terminal degree for their field (PhD, DMA, DNP, DA, MFA) and have a graduate assistantship (Graduate Professional, Research, or Teaching Assistantship) are eligible for subsidized health insurance.
- Recreation and fitness - Support your physical fitness and emotional well being by taking time-out with Mason Recreation. Multiple facilities and programs are available for nearly every interest and ability.
- Student Support and Advocacy Center - When you need someone to listen, our trained staff will assist you in meeting personal challenges and overcoming barriers to success. The center supports students in recovery, and provides referrals for psychological services such as counseling.
Living near campus cuts your commute, giving you more time for studies and research. Get help with your housing search:
- Masonvale - This community on the grounds of the Fairfax Campus provides housing for Mason faculty, staff, post-doctoral fellows, full-time graduate students, and others affiliated with the university. It’s open year-round.
- Off-Campus Housing Locator - Search for housing listings and for roommates.
- Graduate and Professional Student Association's (GAPSA) Facebook page
- Fourth Estate - Mason’s official student-run news outlet.
Parking and Transportation
We help you get to and from our campuses with parking, transportation, and shuttle information.
- Bicycle Programs -Mason supports this eco-friendly and affordable option on our campuses with bike lanes, racks, shelters, and pumps, as well as a Capital Bikeshare station on the Arlington Campus.
- City-University Energysaver Bus System - CUE -
- This partnership between the City of Fairfax and Mason makes getting around Fairfax easy and economical. All busses are fully accessible.
- Washington Metro Area Transit Authority - METRO - Get to Mason’s Arlington and Fairfax campuses through the Washington Metro system. In Fairfax, students ride the orange line to the Vienna Station, then board the CUE bus to campus. In Arlington, students ride the orange line to Virginia Square, then take a short walk (0.3 miles) to campus
- Parking: Mason requires valid parking permits if you park longer than 30 minutes. Find parking regulations for your program’s campus on the Parking and Transportation website.
- Patriot Lift - This system offers accessible transportation to help you navigate campus efficiently and safely.
- Shuttle Services - Catch a ride between the Fairfax and Sci-Tech Campuses on the Mason Shuttle.
Lifestyle and Leisure
Make the most out of your time at Mason with leisure and entertainment activities that inspire and energize your creative spirit.
- Mason Arts Calendar - Many performances at Mason's collection of professional venues are available free to full time students.
- Mason Athletics - George Mason University's athletes take their talents to the limit in exciting NCAA competition. Enrolled students can register for free tickets for home games.
- EagleBank Arena - Home court for the champion Patriots basketball teams, EagleBank Arena also hosts many national and international touring performances. Tickets are available through ticketmaster, and occasional discounts are offered to students through Student Involvement.
Networking and Connections
Build relationships with colleagues and fellow students that will last long after your degree conferral.
- Student Organizations - Registered student organizations, RSOs, are an essential part of a well-rounded, well-networked graduate experience. Find graduate RSOs for your interest area, or branch out into another special interest group.
- Graduate and Professional Student Association - GAPSA - Network with your colleagues and engage in advocacy for the unique needs and interests of graduate students. GAPSA is the host of the Mason Graduate Interdisciplinary Conference.
You can depend on Mason’s robust technical resources and support whether studying remotely or in a classroom. Information Technology Services (ITS) include:
- Accounts and Access
- Computers and software
- Email and collaboration
- Teaching and learning with technology
- Network, internet and telephone
- University IT applications
- Web Servers and Data